Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cross Country Skiing on Bear Mountain


I put my cross-country skis on for the first time this year on a beautiful, sunny Sunday. We went up to Radar Lake to the Bear Mountain Nordic Ski Trails.

Being a confirmed beginner skier, I have yet to move beyond the beginner trails, but my more accomplished friends tell me that the intermediate and advanced trails are superb.

There are over 20 kilometers (12 miles) of trails and they are kept beautifully groomed by the Nordic Ski Club.

Cross-country skiing is is a great cardio workout and I love the feeling I get when I find my rhythm. I enjoy the smell of the trees and the sound of the skis and the many wildlife sightings. It's common to see deer, moose, squirrels and an abundance of birds.

It's also great to stop for hot chocolate and lunch at one of the warming huts. The hut on the beginner trail is called the Grizzly Den, where we build a fire and warm up. I haven't been to the other warming huts because they are on more advanced trails.

There are trail maps posted along the trail, but it's recommended to have a paper one for the many intermediate and advanced trails.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment