Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Spirit Art Festival Walkabout in Dawson Creek

The Spirit Art Festival has transformed Dawson Creek streets into a city-wide art gallery for the month of February.

Many of the downtown businesses have turned their street front windows into display cases for our local artists.

Last Sunday, I bundled up, parked my car at the corner of 102nd Ave & 10th Street, by the Mile O Post and went for a walkabout with my camera.

I stopped at Café Europa for my favorite specialty coffee to sip and walked up and down the streets looking at the awesome local art. It was great to have the time to stop and really look at all the work.

There are displays from potters, print makers, painters, photographers and quilters.

My absolute favorite is the display inside the Alaska Highway House that features the work of a local potter who just recently lost her life. She was an avid potter and her family put her latest work on display for the community and visitors to enjoy.

Projects like this really enhance the city. We are bursting at the seams with talent and I am looking forward to taking into many other performances and displays. My congratulations to the planners who chose the winter month of February to put on this festival.

Grab a hot drink and check out the art!


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment