Sunday, October 17, 2010

Yield the Right Of Way... to Moose!



It seems like more often than not when I'm driving the back roads of the Peace River Country and up & down the Alaska Highway in the fall, I see moose and deer.

Yesterday I came around a corner and had to stop my car for Mama and Baby who were taking their time crossing the road in front of me. Once I stopped my car, they stopped as well. They did not seem afraid of me in the least.

I just happened to have my camera with me and they obliged me with several minutes of photo opportunities. Once they sauntered over to the field on the other side of the road, they started grazing in the oats stubble left by the harvest.

It was getting dark when I took this photo and if you look closely you can see the light from my headlights shining on their long legs. I am confident I will see this pair again over the coming months and I just hope that their lack of concern for vehicles does not cause them harm.

Thankfully, it is a common practice here for the highways departments to clear the roadside ditches of shrubs to make it easier to see the wildlife. We are all used to scanning ahead in the ditches when we drive.

Driving carefully is a must!



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment