Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Finding a GeoCache Stash in Dawson Creek.


GPS in hand, I went with a Geo-caching friend on a high-tech treasure hunt to find a cache box near a cemetery just south of Dawson Creek. (Tomslake)


We had checked out GeoTourismCanada online and found a whole list of locations in and around Dawson Creek.


Even though I live in the area and knew where we were going for this hunt, it was very exciting to forget that and just follow the GPS coordinates. I used to love orienteering with a compass when I was in school, so this gave the same thrill.


Learning how to read the GPS device was the tricky part and I'm sure it would get easier with practice. We stopped the truck several times along the way so I could learn and practice how to read coordinates.


Finding the box itself just by following the coordinates was a challenge as well as a lot of fun.

Inside the box was a plastic bag with a small pencil and a logbook to write in. Several other people had written in the book ahead of us. We made sure everything was tucked away for the next adventurer.


I can certainly see why people love this sport.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment